Thursday 29 September 2011

Final Reflection

My reflection on technology led to capturing special moment of children's interest with hammers. I had not thought of these tool or equipment as technology until my mind was broaden by information which was exposed to us in class. I allowed this experience to be viewed by my mates so they are able to comment and add onto what I could have missed or extend with this technology.

The comments from both Emma and Liyanz was greatly appreciated as they both contributed by giving suggestions which I know will be very helpful to children's growth in this technology. I have continued this  interest by surfing the net for more information on different types of hammers as Emma suggested. Amazingly there are many more new technology of hammers which has been invented and they come in all size and shapes. This links to Liyanz thoughts of technology embracing the intelligence of people who invented it.

Great ideas have been expressed by both Liyanz and Emma of what I could do to extend children's knowledge and understanding in technology. I know these ideas will lead to experience of a life time. My thoughts towards what I have learnt from my friends blogs on technology has really blown me away.

Reading each individual blogs has open so much learning and experiences that I could also do at my centre. I realise that most blogs explored digital camera's and computers. Some centre's had limited resource but still managed to open opportunities for children to explore and experience technology within their centre. I learnt support, encouragement, guidance and providing children with technology will help to increase children's knowledge to make sense of their wider community.

Learning about technology has caused me to reflect on what do I know about technology children interact with in their daily lives? What about my own experiences with technology?
These reflective question helped me to come to realisation that I am not very good with most technology, especially the computer. Computer has to be my worst enemie, but I am slowly starting to enjoy it a little bit more because of what I have learnt.

I believe giving children simple basic teaching on how to use a computer will increase their capabilities. Talay-Ongan (2005) states, "children's use of computers, television, video, CD, DVD players and cameras enables them to access a world of animation and imagination, story, music and movement in enriched and engaging ways" (p.226). I have learnt that technology is a useful tool  in early childhood as these items and equipment will help develop children's thinking, language, and imagination to grow.

Words can't explain the significance technology has on children. Simple things like cooking materials, beds, baby bottles, teets, all been designed to solve problems and help people (Smorti, 1999) especially children. When I look at most of the technology that has been created, the inventor has put a lot of thought towards the product. These inventors have done their research on people of all ages.

I have thoroughly enjoyed this new learning of blogging. I found it frustrating at first but then as I continued to persevere with it, I gain knowledged of how to manipulate the controls so that I was able to continue with my blog. I now know how to hyper link my work and I am over the moon proud of myself. This task has helped me to grow so much I am loving every moment of it.

Technology has done wonders in children's lives as well as parents and teacher's. Our society is changing rapidly and so are the technology. I am finally able to embrace technology with open arms thanks to my friends and their contribution towards my blog.

Kia kite ano.

No comments:

Post a Comment